Monday, July 2, 2012

We Made It

Well, we made it. 
We went from a 840 square foot apartment in Philly...

 to a 6 bdrm/3 bath stand alone home with over an acre at our disposal.  
 Not bad right?

Every morning I get up at 6am and milk Blackie.  I get a bucket of cracket corn, udder wipes, teat spray, and my stainless steel milking bucket.  The first morning took me 1hr15 to milk her out... a painful process and completely pathetic.  It's been almost 2 weeks now and I'm getting faster.  She is also getting used to standing tied to the fence instead of having her head locked into a stancion. I am currently getting a little over 2 gallons every morning.

 So far we have all of our poultry except the chickens here right now.  I have eggs in the incubator and also an order of chicks coming in the mail in exactly 17 days.  The pony is here and we had our first riding lesson today and we also got a darling little heifer calf named Daisy that keeps Blackie company.
Our ducklings are growing up and are sooo friendly.  It has been very entertaining to watch them our in the little pool and foraging on the property.  When I'm sitting on my milking bucket in the mornings they come over and sit by me on the grass until I'm done.

The kids are in heaven and are loving the outdoor fun and the larger living space.   Our rental is a little run down and needs work but we're making great progress and bringing the barnyard back to all its glory.  More updates to come.

No comments: