Thursday, August 21, 2008

My favorite price

So I've recently had the sewing bug, mostly due to the fact that my neighbor gave me her extra sewing machine AND it's sort of the season for it since the weather is changing. Unfortunately my budget didn't match my sudden need for fabric so I put out a 'wanted' for fabric on freecycle. I got so many answers and A LOT of fabric although not in the form I had hoped for. I've made it my fall sewing challenge to use all of it for useful things so here is my first project.

4 large Fabric books. There were a lot of 100% cotton sheets and most co-ordinated since they were from the same line. The result is a picnic quilt (I had enough to make 2 so I think one will be a give-away). I always need an outdoor blanket for picnics, watching fireworks, etc. and I'm always agonizing over which one of our normal house blankets to subject to the outdoors but...those days are over! The kids like to run and stand on their favorite fabric square. Who knew it would be such a hit? and hey where else can you get a stylish picnic quilt that is rated for 15,000 double rubs?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

love the idea of a picnic blanket. We have one and it is used on a weekly basis and we got it for our wedding 9 years ago- pretty hammered. Anyways, glad to see you are sewing. I am starting to get the bug but the weather is still a little too nice for me to be inside sewing. Come mid Sept. /Oct. I will be doing some fun projects. love that you share your ideas. keep them coming.

N said...

I get alot of free swatch books from our local Teacher Depot. I have been using them to make yoyo's and drawstring bags. A picnic quilt sounds fun.

Heather said...

I love this idea, we have needed a picnic/outdoor quilt for too long.